illustration learning log


I've just started an illustration course with the open college of the arts.

This is my learning log.

Sunday 6 April 2014

Part 3: working it out: project visuals: client visuals

This exercise is about understanding how to create a readable client visual by reducing an illustration to its main structural form.

I chose to work on a vintage advertising poster and a print by Angie Lewin.




In version 1 of the poster I included all the basic structure, some detail and hand drawn text.  It gives a good idea of how it would look.

In version 2 I reduced the detail and just indicated where the text would be placed.  It still makes sense and could probably be edited further and retain its readability.

For the other illustration I chose Angie Lewin's wood engraving 'pale day'.



 
In the first version I included lots of detail and it gives a good impression of how the finished piece would look.  In the next two versions I reduced the amount of detail and I think it still retains its readability.  Again, it would be possible to reduce it further to its basic shapes, but I think maybe it wouldn't convey the real feeling of the piece.



No comments:

Post a Comment