illustration learning log


I've just started an illustration course with the open college of the arts.

This is my learning log.

Monday 24 March 2014

Part 3: working it out: project visuals: viewpoint

This is an exercise in looking at objects from different viewpoints to determine the most suitable format, angle and zoom that best communicates an idea.

I started by making a small collection of objects around a theme from a given list - I chose 'workshop' - with a potting shed theme.

The next step was to document them using a digital camera, from different angles and zoom, looking for interesting shapes and textures.

digitally documenting a collection of workshop objects 01
digitally documenting a collection of workshop objects 02
digitally documenting a collection of workshop objects 03
I then had to repeat the activity - this time by drawing the objects and using a different format from the viewfinder - I decided to use a square format.

the same objects drawn in a square format

Next we had to select one design to draw at a larger scale as a client visual.

For this I wanted the illustration to be an informal pattern of gardening tools - as if they had been thrown into a box ready for use.  I wanted it to look quite flat - the sort of design that could be made into a lino cut or wood cut.



For me this format and layout works - I can imagine it as a finished work as a lino cut.

This was a useful and interesting exercise.  Initially I just threw the objects into a wooden seed tray and photographed them.  As I worked through the exercise I consciously made decisions about the choice of objects and their arrangement within the seed tray.

As usual I really enjoyed it - and I would like to go on to make a lino cut of it!



No comments:

Post a Comment