illustration learning log


I've just started an illustration course with the open college of the arts.

This is my learning log.

Tuesday 6 March 2012

Part 2: Ideas - Using reference - 1950s illustration

At last I've finished my 1950s illustration. I've taken far too long on this piece of work, but I did enjoy it!

I started off by researching all the areas indicated in the brief and printing the images for reference.

As I started to get into the 1950s I decided that not only would I like the illustration to depict a 1950s room, but also to be in 1950s style.

I began by using my sketchbook.


I attempted to draw men and women, furniture, objects and textile designs of the time.







I started to think about the layout of the room and whether the character would be male or female. Being female, I decided that it might be easier to understand a woman's outlook. What would she be doing?

After many attempts I decided that my drawing of people wasn't going to be adequate for how I envisaged the finished illustration and decided to use collaged figures of both a man and a woman.

Once I had planned the layout of the room, I drew it in pen, then scanned it into the computer. I took the scanned image into Adobe Illustrator.


In Illustrator I traced over the hand drawn lines to make them bolder. I placed images of textiles, downloaded from the internet, for the curtains and the rug. I designed my own fabric for the cushions. I also downloaded the images for the man and the woman and the magazines.

I coloured the rest of the illustration using Illustrator. I tried to make it look 1950s in appearance by looking at textiles from the time and trying to emulate the style.



I included lots of 1950s objects -
  • light wood shelving unit with sliding doors
  • Penguin books on the top shelf
  • family photos and ceramics on the lower shelf
  • television
  • Roberts radio
  • task light
  • plant in striped ceramic pot
  • light wood unit with tapered legs


  • patterned rug
  • sofas with clean lines and light wood tapered legs
  • patterned cushions
  • atomic magazine rack with magazines

No comments:

Post a Comment